Skip to main content

Sporting Goods - Retail

Required State License(s):

A sales tax license is required for this type of business. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4660.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.

Other Possible License(s):

When weapons (guns, knives, etc.) are sold a license is required with the U.S. Department of Treasury, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Detroit at (313) 393-6000 or Grand Rapids (616) 301-6100.

It is required to register a purchased weapon with the local county and state police departments (517) 322-5518.

Minnow Dealer, Wholesale and Retail license. Contact the Department of Natural Resources; (517) 373-1204.

Other licenses may be required depending on what products are sold (food, liquor, etc.).

Revised: 5/2005