Skip to main content

Travel Agency

Required State License(s):

None for setting up an agency.  A sales tax license may be required. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4660.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. For further information about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.

Further Information:

Apply for commission with the Airlines Reporting Corporation,1530 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 800, Arlington, VA 22209-2448 (703) 816-8000 for wholesale rates about airlines and Amtrak.

For International Travel information, contact the International Airlines Travel Agent Network, 800 Place Victoria, Suite 800, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H4Z1C3 (514) 868-8800 for kit about international travel agent(s). There is a fee for this information.

Information about a career in "what is an ASTA  travel agent," contact the American Society of Travel Agents, 1101 King Street, Suite 200, Alexandria, VA 22314 (703) 739-2782.

Several community colleges and universities offer classes about travel agency start-up. Contact the college or university nearest you.

Local tourism groups are authorized by Michigan Law to add a "surcharge" to all room rentals in their market area to pay for tourism promotion activities. Check the local group to see if this is applicable.

Revised:  5/2005