Skip to main content

Waste Hauler

Required State License(s): Haulers of hazardous waste and non hazardous liquid waste must be permitted and registered with the Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy. Application forms and information are available at, then select "Hazardous and Liquid Industrial Waste Transporters."

Solid waste haulers are not licensed by EGLE, but have operating requirements. They may have local business license requirements. 

Shippers and transporters of hazardous materials, including hazardous waste, are to file an annual registration statement with the U.S. Department of Transportation. Details at or call 800-942-6990.

Michigan State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division: When hauling for-hire, in intrastate commerce, operating authority must be granted through the Michigan State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division (MSP-CVED), Regulatory and Credentialing Section. Once granted authority, the carrier may have to license its intrastate vehicle(s) though the MSP-CVED; 517-284-3250.

For-hire means, for a direct or indirect fee, transporting property not owned nor manufactured by the company doing the transporting.

All interstate carriers, private and for-hire, must register in the annual Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) Program.

See other entries for Scrap Tire Haulers and Scrap Metal Haulers.

ADMINISTERING AGENCY: Materials Management Division, Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy, 525 West Allegan Street, PO Box 30241, Lansing, MI 48909-7741.

Revision Date: