Skip to main content


Required State License(s):

A "License to Purchase" form should be executed for each and every pistol, revolver or knives purchased from an individual or another dealer. Contact the local police agency for a supply of forms. If the local police agency does not know or have these forms, contact the State Police Department at; (517) 322-5518.

A sales tax license may be required if any products are sold to the public. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4660.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. For further information about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.

Other licenses:

To legally buy and sell firearms and transport the items interstate, a person should possess a Federal Firearms License. Contact the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Bureau at 1-800-ATF-GUNS or the following Michigan offices: Detroit (313) 393-6000 or Grand Rapids (616) 301-6100.

Dealers should also contact the local police agency about a "Concealed Pistols License" if they intend to transport certain types of firearms.

Revised:  5/2005