Driver Education Provider online renewal step by step instructions
Renewing Your Driver Education Provider Certificate
Instructors have two convenient options for renewing:
- Online Renewal
- Note: You cannot renew online if more than 30 days have passed since your provider certification expired. (The expiration date is found in Box b of your provider certificate renewal application.)
- Have your provider certificate renewal application and a valid Discover, MasterCard, Visa or electronic check information.
- Follow this link to go to the online Driver Education Provider Renewal System. Or, from www.Michigan.gov/sos, click on "Driver License and State ID" and "Driver Education." The link to the online system is in the center of the page.
- Follow the screen prompts to complete your application.
- Pay with Discover, MasterCard, Visa or electronic check.
- A confirmation e-mail will be sent after you submit your application.
- If there are any problems with your application, the Business Licensing Section will contact you by mail.
- Renewal by Mail
- Note: Renew before the expiration date shown in Box b on your preprinted renewal application to avoid having to reapply.
- Fill out the enclosed provider certificate renewal application as instructed. Make any updates necessary. Some updates may require additional documentation.
- Pay with a check or money order made out to "State of Michigan."
- Return your completed application and payment to: Department of State, Licensing Unit, Lansing, MI 48918
- Failure to fill out the form correctly and completely may delay or prevent your license renewal.
The Department of State mails a renewal application, Form DES-014R, Renewal Application for Driver Education Provider Certificate, to all licensed providers about 60 days before their expiration date. (The expiration date can be found in Box b of your provider certificate renewal application.)
If a renewal notice has not been received within 30 days of the expiration date, the provider should contact the department's Licensing Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org or (888) SOS-MICH (767-6424). A provider certificate must be renewed biannually.
Your new certificate should arrive in the mail within three weeks after your application has been processed.
When you receive your new provider certificate, post it prominently where customers can see it.