To operate a motorcycle on public roads, you must possess a valid driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement. There are two ways in Michigan to obtain your motorcycle endorsement.
Michigan Rider Education Training Course
- Find and complete an approved training course. See Training Locator
- If you completed training before March 16, 2021, visit a branch office, present certificate of completion to obtain your CY motorcycle endorsement.
- If you completed training after March 16, 2021, you should receive your certificate of completion via email with instructions to either go online or visit a Secretary of State branch office to obtain your CY endorsement.
Temporary Instruction Permit and Skills Test
- Study the Michigan Motorcycle Operator Manual.
- Visit a Secretary of State branch office to take the vision and written knowledge test and obtain a Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP).
- Practice riding up to 180 days with endorsed motorcyclist and other restrictions.
- Schedule and pass rider skills test. Your tester will submit the results to the Secretary of State.
- You will receive an email with instructions to either go online or into a Secretary of State branch office to obtain your CY motorcycle endorsement.
License Fees: $16.00 application fee to obtain CY endorsement and $9.00 correction fee for a new operator license.