Obtaining a Driver's License

  • What Every Driver Must Know will help you prepare for the written knowledge test you'll be required to take at a Secretary of State office. 
  • The Driving Skills Test Study Guide provides you with all the information you'll need to schedule and pass a driving skills test.
  • Optional:  Adult driver training is available if you choose to receive professional training. State certified driver education providers are regulated by the Department of State. Fees and policies vary.

Copies of these booklets are also available at any Secretary of State branch office. Use the Branch Office Locator to find a branch office near you.

If you have a valid driver's license from another state or Canada and have moved to Michigan, visit a Secretary of State office and:

  • Present documentation of a valid Social Security number or letter of ineligibility, U.S. citizenship or legal presence if not a U.S. citizen, identity and Michigan residency
  • Take a vision test and pass the physical standards
  • Have your photograph taken
  • Pay a $25 fee and obtain a Temporary Operator's Permit.  The TOP allows you to drive until your Michigan driver's license arrives in the mail.

(A written test is required for anyone converting an out-of-state license with a hazardous materials endorsement.)

If you are converting a valid out-of-state operator's license to Michigan, you will need to pass a vision test.

If you are also adding a Commercial Driver's License or a motorcycle endorsement (and do not have one already), or if your license has been expired for at least four years, you must pass a written test, obtain the appropriate learner's permit, and pass a driving skills test.

Only U.S. citizens and residents with temporary or permanent legal presence may apply for a Michigan driver's license.

Residents who have temporary legal presence are issued a limited-term driver's license. A limited-term license is valid for only as long as the person is authorized to remain in the country.

next page