Applying for license or ID Checklist

If you are applying for a license or ID card you will need the documents listed on this page.

To ensure your application process is as smooth as possible, remember:

✔     Double-check that you have all the correct documentation before visiting a Secretary of State office. If you have any questions about what is required visit our FAQ or call the Department of State Information Center at 888-SOS-MICH (767-6424).

✔     Your first and last name and date of birth on your legal presence and identity documents should match. If your current legal name is different from the name on your birth certificate or legal presence document, you must show legal proof of the name change, such as original marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order.

✔     A second document from group #2 may also be accepted as proof of identity.

✔     Foreign documents must be translated.

✔     Document must be originals or copies certified with a raised seal or stamp. Faxed or photocopied documents will NOT be accepted.

✔     Foreign driver's licenses are proof of driving experience only. English translations must be provided if you do not have an international Driving Permit.

✔     Documents are subject to departmental review and may require more than one day for approvals. Additional information may be required. The department may retain images or copies of any document presented.


Click with your mouse to place checkmarks in the boxes next to items you have available and when you are finished print out your personalized list.



Your Social Security number or letter of ineligibility

Present ONE of the following to demonstrate a valid Social Security number or ineligibility.


 Social Security card.


 W-2 form.


 SSA-1099 form or non-SSA 1099 form.


 Pay stub containing your name and Social Security number.


 SSA-L676 letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration. Must be presented with USCIS documents that show non-work authorized status. Letters more than 60 days old will not be accepted.


Note: If you are unable to provide one of the above documents as proof of your Social Security number, other documents that show your Social Security number may be presented but require review by the branch manager. Social Security number information will be verified. You may be required to correct your information with the Social Security Administration before your driver's license or ID card application can be processed.




Legal Presence

Present at least ONE of any of the documents from this section

 Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card.

 Certified birth certificate with stamp or raised seal issued by a government unit of the U.S. or U.S. territory government office.                                    
NOTE: Puerto Rico birth certificates can only be accepted if issued on or after July 1, 2010    

 Enhanced Michigan Driver's License or ID card.

 Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State (FS-240, DS-1350 or FS-545).

The following documents are subject to verification using the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements System (SAVE). Approval may take longer than one day.

 Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561).

 Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570 or N-578).

 Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (I-551) or other evidence of permanent residency (e.g. I-551 visa/stamp in passport or on I-94)

 Valid Employment Authorization Card (I-766)

  Valid, unexpired foreign passport and U.S. visa, along with evidence of entry (I-94 stamp or printout).

  • F-visa holders must present Form I-20
  • J-visa holders must present form DS-2019
  • B1 and B2 visas are not acceptable
  • WB and WT visa stamps are not acceptable

 Other immigration documents that demonstrate legal presence and/or ability to work in the United States, including Form I-94, State Department bio-data form, and supervision documents (other documents may be acceptable).

 Expired immigration documents along with Form I-797, Notice of Action showing new documents have been applied for.



Identity Verification

Present original documents to establish identity. MORE THAN ONE document may be required.

 A valid unexpired U.S. passport or passport card can serve as both proof of legal presence and identity.

 Out-of-state, U.S. territories, or Canadian driver's license or ID card. (Licenses or ID cards expired for less than four years will be accepted.)

 Marriage license issued in the U.S.

 Divorce decree issued in the U.S.

 U.S. court order for a name change.

 Employee photo ID issued by a federal or Michigan government agency.

 U.S. Customs and Border Protection Trusted Traveler Card (Global Entry, SENTRI or NEXUS).

 U.S. military ID card with photo (DD-2, DD-1173 or CAC card).

 U.S. military discharge or separation documents, such as a DD-214.

 Tribal photo ID card from a federally recognized Native American tribe.

 Michigan Department of Corrections prisoner ID card. (This document requires verification, which may take more than one day.)

 Michigan driver education certificate. (For applicants age 18 and younger.)

 Government issued adoption record.

 U.S. school records (School ID cards with name and photo, diplomas, transcripts or yearbooks, or record of attendance.)

 If the applicant is below age 18 and does not have one of the above with them, a parent or guardian may present their driver's license or ID and sign for the teen.

 The identity requirement may also be met if two of the following documents are presented: foreign passport, I-94, Employment Authorization Card, Refugee Travel Document I-571 or Immigrant visa.

 Other documents including immigration documents, which may or may not have an entry stamp. (I-94 Arrival/Departure form, U.S. Department of State bio-data form, court-ordered supervision documents, etc.). These documents require verification which may take more than one day.



Proof of Michigan residency

Present at least TWO documents with your name and Michigan residence address.

 Utility bill or credit card bill issued within the last 90 days. (Electronic copies are acceptable.)

 Account statement from a bank or other financial institution issued within the last 90 days. (Electronic copies are acceptable.)

 Michigan high school, college or university report cards or transcripts.

 Mortgage, lease or rental agreement. (Lease and rental agreements must include the landlord's telephone number.)

 Pay stub or earnings statement issued with the name and address of the employee.

 Life, health, auto or home insurance policy.

 Federal, state or local government documents, such as receipts, licenses or assessments.

 Michigan title and registration. (The registration must show current residential address.)

 Other documents containing your name and address may be accepted with manager approval.

Note: Michigan P.O. boxes are not an acceptable residence address.

> PDF Version of this page (SOS-428)


Updated January 2, 2020