Renewing Your Driver Education Instructor Certification
It’s FAST, EASY, and SECURE! Renew through CARS, e-Services and receive the following advantages:
- FAST Processing Time! Receive your Instructor Renewal Approval letter within FIVE business days!
- EASY to Complete! Complete your renewal within 20 minutes or less!
- SECURE Log in! Advanced security features to create a user ID and password using MILogin which also can be used to access your instructor account in addition to other government services in Michigan!
NOTE: Above processing time applies to applications that are received with all documents and information required.
Instructor Renewal Information
Access to online system to renew your certificate.
- DES - Instructor Renewal Checklist
- DES-N03 Instructor e-Services Certification
- DES-N05 Medical Examination Report
- Federal DOT Medical Examiner's Certificate (Form MCSA-5876)
Individuals who possess a valid CDL will need to submit the DOT medical certificate to the Driver Programs Division.
- DES - Live Scan Fingerprint Background Check Request
Each driver education provider owner, designated representative and instructor is required to submit the completed LDE - Live Scan Fingerprint Background Check Request form to the Driver Education Section after being fingerprinted by a MDOS approved - Michigan State Police live scan vendor.
- Approved Professional Development Courses and Instructor Preparation Program Agencies
Michigan's Driver Education Contact Information
Michigan Department of State
Driver Education and Testing Section
Address: 430 West Allegan Street, 3rd Floor, Lansing Michigan 48918
DES-P11 Statement of Complaint
To file a formal complaint against a Person/Applicant, Certified Driver Education Provider and/or Instructor, you must complete and submit a DES-P11 Statement of Complaint form to this Department. Instructions are included within the form.
DES-P12 Statement of Complaint - IPP
To file a formal complaint against a Certified Instructor Preparation Program (IPP) Agency and/or IPP Instructor, you must complete and submit a DES-P12 Statement of Complaint form to this Department. Instructions are included within the form.