How to Become a Motorcycle Training Instructor (RiderCoach)
If you are an experienced rider with good riding and communication skills, you may qualify to become a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) certified RiderCoach. Becoming a MSF RiderCoach is a great way to improve your own abilities while helping others to learn or enhance their riding skills.
To become a MSF certified RiderCoach you must, at a minimum
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Have a valid driver's license with a motorcycle (CY) endorsement for a minimum of 1 year.
- Pass the Basic Rider Course (BRC) within 1 calendar year before attending the RiderCoach Preparation Course.
- Have no more than six points on your driving record for moving violations during the 12 months before applying for approval as a RiderCoach.
- Be sponsored by a Michigan Department of State approved public or private organization that offers rider safety training courses. Contact your LOCAL SPONSOR to become a RiderCoach.
- Successfully complete a RiderCoach Preparation Course.
RiderCoach Preparation Course
The RiderCoach Preparation Course is approximately 80 hours of classroom and range activity. This course is periodically offered at various locations throughout the state and may be held over several consecutive days or a few weekends. As part of this course, you will be required to attend and participate in every session, pass a riding-skill test and a knowledge test. You will learn how to teach in the classroom, how to manage the range exercise, and how to evaluate and coach students as they develop their riding skills. The final requirement for certification as a RiderCoach is successful completion of student teaching to a group of BRC new riders. If selected as a candidate there is a $75.00 course fee required to cover the registration fee and materials. If you are interested in this rewarding opportunity to train future motorcyclists, please contact an approved public or private organization that offers rider safety training courses.
- RiderCoach Recruitment Brochure
- Approved Sponsors Important Dates Timeline
- 2015 Annual Sponsor Meeting - Resource Materials
- Inventory Services Section
Ordering certificates of completion and other materials associated with the Michigan Rider Education Program.
- Michigan Motorcycle Rider Safety Training Program Materials Order Form
- Sponsor listing form This form is required to be submitted to update the motorcyclist training site locator webpages and the hardcopy list that is distributed at the branch offices.
- SOS-105 Motorcycle Completion Certificate Data Log
- Void Certificate Log
- Memo to Sponsors - Slingshot 2-22-2016
- Memo to Sponsors - Course Fee Increase - Public Act 22 of 2016