Driver License Hearing Request
If You Are Appealing:
A denial/revocation as a result of multiple substance abuse convictions: It is necessary to submit documentation of sobriety. Documentation includes, but is not limited to the following:
- A current substance abuse evaluation that is dated no later than 3 months prior to submission.
- Three to six community support letters.
- Documentary evidence of attendance at support meetings.
- Ignition Interlock report if granted restrictions at previous hearing and ordered to install device (obtain this from the company). Only an original interlock report with a raised seal will be accepted. If you do not have an interlock report you may submit a receipt from the interlock company verifying you have requested one. If your hearing will be via video, please mail the report to AHS prior to the hearing. If you will be attending an in person hearing please bring the report with you to your hearing.
To obtain a substance use evaluation form (also available online) or to get more information regarding the driver license appeal hearing and your eligibility date, call 1-888-SOS-MICH (1-888-767-6424).
The reinstatement of a revocation/denial due to an ignition interlock violation may be appealed to Administrative Hearings Section within 14 days of the effective date of the reinstatement by submitting a Request for Hearing - BAIID.
An additional High BAC suspension due to an interlock violation is not appealable to the Department.
An out-of-state substance abuse conviction from an arrest prior to 10/1/99 which resulted in a Michigan suspension, or any out-of-state conviction with an arrest date after 10/1/99.
If you have previously served a suspension/restriction of similar duration in the state where the conviction occurred, you may request a driver license appeal hearing to waive all or part of the Michigan suspension/restriction.
If you believe you are eligible to have your suspension/restriction waived, put your request for evaluation in writing and send the following:
- Proof of out-of-state suspension/restriction (from and through dates).
- Proof of living in that state during the period of suspension/restriction. This may include rent receipts, employment records, utility bills, military records, etc.
- Proof of out-of-state license at the time of the conviction in question.
- Proof that you did not have a Michigan license during the suspension period.
A Driver Assessment action or branch office denial:
Driver Assessment actions and branch office denials are appealable to the Administrative Hearing Section within 14 days.
You may request an appeal immediately for any suspension, revocation or denial resulting from a conviction on a legal issue only. If you have a legal issue, please describe this in detail on your request for hearing.
Mail Requests For Hearing To:
Administrative Hearing Section
P.O. Box 30196
Lansing, Michigan 48909-7696|
Or Fax: 517-335-2190
Electronically submit requests for hearing through Driver Appeal Integrated System (DAIS). To use DAIS you must first set up an account by following the online instructions at:
http://milogintp.michigan.gov (Attorney for Petitioner, Prosecutor, Law Enforcement).
All requests for hearings must be in writing and either mailed or submitted electronically through DAIS. If you have questions regarding your appeal rights, contact our Information Center at 1-888-SOS-MICH (1-888-767-6424).
Note: Televideo hearings are conducted at various locations throughout the State. If you are scheduled for a televideo hearing, all documentation must be submitted in advance.
Request for Hearing PDF (SOS-257/258)
Request for Hearing - WORD (SOS-257/258)
SOS-258 Substance Use Evaluation
Request for Hearing - Ignition Interlock Violation
Request for Hearing - Implied Consent Violation