Driver's License and State ID - Seniors

If you are age 65 or older and no longer drive, you are eligible for a state identification card. State law doesn't allow residents to hold a valid driver's license and a state ID card at the same time. However, residents with a driver's license that has been restricted, suspended or revoked may apply for a state ID card.

All Social Security information will be verified. If you are applying for a standard ID card and are ineligible for a Social Security number, you must present a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration. Enhanced ID cards are only issued to Michigan residents who are U.S. citizens with valid Social Security numbers.

If you are voluntarily surrendering your driver's license, or it is suspended because of a mental or physical disability, you won't be required to present the documentation noted below. Your driver's license is accepted as identification.

Applying for a Standard ID Card

  1. Visit any Secretary of State office
  2. Provide proof of a valid Social Security number
  3. Provide proof of identity, U.S. citizenship or legal presence and residency.
  4. Pay the standard ID card fee if not exempt

Applying for an Enhanced State ID Card

Michigan offers an enhanced state ID card as an alternative to the standard ID card. An enhanced state ID card has two primary purposes - as identification and as a federally approved document that allows you to re-enter the U.S. when traveling by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. It is cost-effective and convenient, eliminating the need to carry a passport or passport card. Several states, in addition to Michigan, offer an enhanced ID card.


  1. You must be a U.S. citizen and a Michigan resident

Note:  When applying for an enhanced state ID card, your first and last name and date of birth on your identity and citizenship documents should match. If your current legal name is different from what is shown on your citizenship document, you must present lawful proof of the name change, such as an original marriage license, divorce decree or court order.

To apply:

  1. Visit any Secretary of State office. Make sure you bring documentation of:

    • A valid Social Security number (for example, a Social Security card)

    • U.S. citizenship (for example, a certified copy of your birth certificate with a raised seal, must be issued by a governmental unit in the U.S. or U.S. territory)

    • Identity (for example, a current Michigan photo license or ID card)

    • Residency (for example, a current Michigan photo license or ID card)

      (Please refer to the Documents Required for an Enhanced License or ID form for a complete list of acceptable documentation.)

  2. Have a new photograph taken

  3. Pay the enhanced state ID card fee

All documentation is subject to Department of State approval. In some cases, document approval won't occur in the same day and may require an additional visit.

Your state ID card is valid for up to four years and should arrive in the mail within two to three weeks.

Related Documents & Topics