Driver's License and State ID - Suspended, Revoked or Restricted Driver's License

Suspended, Revoked or Restricted Driver's License
(Eligible for a State ID Card)

If your Michigan driver's license has been suspended, revoked or restricted, you are eligible for a standard or enhanced state ID card. Residents with a document granting them permission to drive but lacking their photograph, such as a Temporary Instruction Permit, restricted license ordered by the court or Secretary of State or a 625g paper permit, are also eligible for a state ID card.

All Social Security information will be verified. If you are applying for a standard ID card and are ineligible for a Social Security number, you must present a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration and proof of legal presence. Enhanced ID cards are only issued to Michigan residents who are U.S. citizens with valid Social Security numbers.

Applying for a Standard ID Card

  1. Visit any Secretary of State office
  2. Provide proof of a valid Social Security number
  3. Provide proof of U.S. citizenship or legal presence and Michigan residency.
  4. Pay the standard ID card fee if not exempt.

Applying for an Enhanced ID Card

An enhanced state ID card has two primary purposes - as identification and as a federally approved document that allows you to re-enter the U.S. when traveling by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. It is cost-effective and convenient, eliminating the need to carry a passport, passport card or other secured travel documents. Several states, in addition to Michigan, offer an enhanced ID card.


  1. You must be a U.S. citizen and a Michigan resident

Note:  When applying for an enhanced state ID card, your first and last name and date of birth on your identity and citizenship documents should match. If your current legal name is different from what is shown on your citizenship document, you must present lawful proof of the name change, such as an original marriage license, divorce decree or court order.

To apply

  1. Visit any Secretary of State office. Make sure you bring documentation of:
    • A valid Social Security number (for example, a Social Security card)
    • U.S. citizenship (for example, a certified copy of your birth certificate with a raised seal, must be issued by a governmental unit in the U.S. or U.S. territory)
    • Identity (for example, a current Michigan photo license or ID card)
    • Residency (for example, a current Michigan photo license or ID card)​​​​​​
  2. Have a new photograph taken
  3. Pay the enhanced state ID card fee

Please refer to the Documents Required for an Enhanced License or ID form for a complete list of acceptable documentation.

All documentation is subject to Department of State approval. In some cases, document approval won't occur in the same day and may require an additional visit.

Your state ID card is valid for up to four years from your most recent birthday and should arrive in the mail within two to three weeks.

Related Documents & Topics