No-fee personal identification card policy

In accordance with Michigan law [MCL 28.292(14)], the Michigan Department of State (MDOS) waives the fees for a State of Michigan Personal Identification Card (PID) for applicants who present good cause. The statute includes four instances of good cause: individuals 65 or over; those who are legally blind; those who wish to add or remove a heart insignia; and drivers whose licenses have been suspended because of a physical or mental disability. The statute also allows the fee to be waived for "a person who presents other good cause for a fee waiver."

MDOS has identified four instances, in addition to the four statutorily mandated instances, of good cause in which it will waive the $10 PID fee in accordance with MCL 28.292(14)(d):

MDOS will waive the $10 PID fee for individuals who provide documentary evidence specified by MDOS demonstrating that the applicant is currently receiving benefits from one of the following programs:

  • Michigan Department of Human Services Family Independence Program (FIP)
  • Michigan Department of Human Services State Disability Assistance (SDA)
  • Social Security Administration Social Security Disability Insurance Program (SSDI)
  • Social Security Administration Supplemental Security Income Program (SSI)

Related Link
> Standard and Enhanced State ID Card Fee Chart