CDL Group Designations and Endorsements

CDL Group Designations

A Michigan resident needs a CDL with the appropriate group designation as follows:

Group A to operate a combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR)* of 26,001 pounds or more including a towed trailer or vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)** of more than 10,000 pounds.

Group A allows you to operate Group B and Group C vehicles.

Group B to operate a single vehicle having a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more.

Group B allows you to operate Group C vehicles.

Group C to operate a single vehicle having a GVWR under 26,001 pounds or a vehicle having a GVWR under 26,001 pounds towing another vehicle or trailer and carrying hazardous materials on which a placard is required, or designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver.

*Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) means the value specified by the manufacturer as the maximum loaded weight of a combination vehicle. In the absence of a label, the GCWR can be calculated by adding the GVWR of the power unit to the GVWR of the vehicle(s) or trailer(s) being towed.

**Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the recommended maximum total weight of the vehicle and load as designated by the vehicle manufacturer. The GVWR label is usually found on the driver side door post of the power unit and on the front left side of the trailer. The GVWR should not be confused with the elected gross vehicle weight (GVW) which is declared by the vehicle owner for registration purposes.


In addition to the appropriate CDL group designation, endorsements are required for the following:

  • T - Double or Triple Trailers: (Triple trailer combinations are not permitted in Michigan.)
  • P - Passenger: For vehicles which are designed to carry 16 or more people (including the driver).
  • N - Tank Vehicles: For vehicles designed to haul liquids or liquefied gases in bulk in permanently mounted tanks or portable tanks rated at 1,000 gallons or more.
  • H - Hazardous Materials: To carry hazardous materials in amounts requiring placards. Before applying for this endorsement, you must have:
    • A Federal Security Threat Assessment
    • You must provide valid, unexpired proof of U.S. Citizenship or that you are a Lawful Permanent Resident
      • Acceptable Proof of U.S. Citizenship: 

        Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card

        Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority, or outlying possession of the U.S. bearing an official seal. 

        Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State (FS-240, DS-1350, or FS-545)    

        Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570, or N-578)

        Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (N-560 or N-561)  
      • Acceptable Proof of Lawful Permanent Resident:

        Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card, issued by USCIS or INS.


  • X - This X-endorsement code will appear on the license instead of the H and N codes when an applicant receives both the tank and hazardous materials endorsements.
  • S - School Bus: For commercial motor vehicles used to transport pre-primary, primary, or secondary school students from home to school, school to home, or to and from school-sponsored events.

For CLPs issued on or after July 8, 2015 the only endorsements allowed are:

  • P - For passenger endorsement
  • S - For school bus endorsement
  • N - For tank vehicle endorsement


You could receive restrictions on your CDL under the following conditions:

For CLPs issued on or after July 8, 2015, the following restrictions have been standardized:

  • P - For No passengers in CMV bus

  • X - For No cargo in CMV tank vehicle

  • L - For No Air brake equipped CMV

  • V - For medical variance

  • M - For No Class A passenger vehicle

  • N - For No Class A and B passenger vehicle

  • K - For Intrastate only

  • Any additional jurisdictional restrictions that apply to the CLP driving privilege


For CDLs issued on or after July 8, 2015, the following restrictions have been standardized:


  • L - For No Air brake equipped CMV

  • Z - For No Full air brake equipped CMV

  • E - For No Manual transmission equipped CMV

  • O - For No Tractor-trailer CMV

  • M - For No Class A passenger vehicle

  • N - For No Class A and B passenger vehicle

  • K - For Intrastate only

  • V - For medical variance

  • At the discretion of the State, additional codes for additional restrictions, as long as each such restriction codes are fully explained on the front or back of the CDL document. Such restrictions are reported through CDLIS using the ‘J’ (Other) or ‘I’ (Restricted – Other) codes.

Seasonal Restricted CDL

A special seasonal restricted CDL is available for agri-business employees operating Group B and C vehicles on routes within 150 miles from the place of business. Buses and school buses cannot be operated with this restricted license. Although CDL knowledge and skills tests are not required, applicants must have a clean driving record for the prior three-year period and have held an operator or chauffeur license for at least one year prior to application for a seasonal restricted CDL. 

This CDL must be applied for each calendar year. Within a one-year period, applicants can choose to have the restricted CDL valid for 180 days from date of issue or valid for the seasonal periods from April 2 through June 30 and September 2 through November 30. The restricted CDL permits the driver to transport the following limited amounts of hazardous materials without the H or X endorsements:

  • Diesel motor fuel in quantities of 1,000 gallons or less.
  • Liquid fertilizers in quantities of 3,000 gallons or less.
  • Solid fertilizers that are not transported with any organic substance.

Related Documents
Michigan Commercial Driver License Manual PDF icon