CDL Self and Medical Certification
VIEW your current CDL certification and expiration date. Scroll to the "Go Online" link below and click to enter site.
To complete the self-certification process, you may:
- Go Online - visit this link and submit the requested information online. If medical certification is required, you will need to scan and upload your medical certification document in a PDF (preferred) or TIF format; or
- Mail the completed and signed self-certification form and, if required, a copy of your completed and signed Medical Examiner's Certificate using the form on the website to:
Michigan Department of State
CDL Help Desk
7064 Crowner Drive
Lansing, MI 48918
- Fax the completed and signed self-certification form and, if required, include a copy of your completed and signed Medical Examiner's Certificate using the form on the back of this letter to 517-636-4359; or,
- Visit a Secretary of State office to self-certify and present medical documents if required.
If you self-certify as a non-excepted interstate driver, you must present a completed and signed Medical Examiner's Certificate, which is also known as a DOT Medical Card, to the Secretary of State to continue your CDL application.
CDL holders will no longer be able to self-certify to either of the intrastate (Michigan only) options via the customer web application. Since a new license is required to display intrastate only (K restriction), you will need to visit your local Secretary of State office.
If you have an FMCSA medical variance, such as an FMCSA waiver letter or skills performance evaluation, you must present each document at a Secretary of State office. FMCSA medical variance documents will not be accepted if sent by mail or fax.
For additional information, visit the links below or call 517-636-7474.
* Any physical exam performed on or after 04/20/2016 must be completed on form MCSA-5876. Per federal regulations all other forms must be rejected by the Department of State. Your medical professional will provide the appropriate form at the time of your examination. A link to a sample of the new form follows:
Medical Examiners Certificate
Related links and Documents