Replacing a Lost License (in state)

If your driver's license has been lost, destroyed, mutilated or is illegible, you may apply for a replacement at any Secretary of State office. Standard licenses may also be replaced online.

You may apply for a replacement standard driver's license online through ExpressSOS if you are a U.S. citizen with a valid Social Security number. If your driver's license is within one year of expiring when applying to obtain a replacement, the online system will give you the option to renew your license or cancel the transaction. Online replacement is not yet available for enhanced driver's licenses. Select "Replace Driver's License" from the ExpressSOS home page.

At a Secretary of State office
When replacing a license at a branch office, you will need to provide identification, such as a certified birth certificate, U.S. or Canadian passport, marriage license or photo identification card issued by a Michigan government agency. More than one document may be required. All documents are subject to manager approval. Photocopies and facsimiles are not adequate proof. Only original documents will be accepted. If your driver's license is due to expire within one year, you will have the option to renew it rather than replace it.

For additional information, contact the Department of State Information Center at 888-SOS-MICH (767-6424).

Related Documents & Topics
> Replace Driver's License
> Identity Documents for a Duplicate Driver License or Personal Identification Card