Applying for license or ID Checklist

To ensure a smooth application process, follow these instructions.

Do you have the correct documents?

Make sure you have the correct documents before visiting a Secretary of State office. If you have any questions about what is required, visit our FAQ or call the Department of State Information Center at 888-SOS-MICH (767-6424).

Documents will be reviewed. 
All documents are subject to review and may require more than one day for approvals.

Additional information may be required. The department may retain images or copies of any document presented.

Name changes and date of birth

Your first and last name and date of birth on your legal presence and identity documents should match.

If your legal name is different from what is on your birth certificate or legal presence document, you must show official proof of the name change, such as an original marriage certificate, a certified divorce decree or a court order.

Note: More than one name-change document may be required if your name has changed more than once.

Original documents only - no faxes or photocopies

Documents must be originals or copies certified with a raised seal or stamp. Faxes and photocopies won't be accepted.

Foreign documents

Foreign documents must be translated.

Foreign driver's licenses

An international Driving Permit or an English translation must be provided. Foreign driver's licenses are proof of driving experience only and can't be used as proof of legal presence or identity.


Click with your mouse to place checkmarks in the boxes next to items you have available and when you are finished print out your personalized list.

1. Proof of Social Security Number
     Present one document


 Social Security card


 W-2 form


 SSA-1099 form or non-SSA 1099 form


 Pay stub containing your name and Social Security number


 SSA-L676 letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration. These must be presented with USCIS documents that show non-work authorized status. Letters more than 12 months old will not be accepted.


Note: If you are unable to provide one of the above documents as proof of your Social Security number, other documents that show your Social Security number may be presented but will require review by the branch manager. Social Security number information will be verified.

You may be required to correct your information with the Social Security Administration before your driver's license or ID card application can be processed.

2. Proof of legal presence
    Present at least one document


 Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card


 Certified birth certificate* with stamp or raised seal issued by a U.S. government unit or U.S. territory government office. (Note: Puerto Rican birth certificates are accepted only if issued on or after July 1, 2010    


 Michigan Enhanced driver's license or ID card


 Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. State Department (FS-240, DS-1350 or FS-545)


(The following may be verified by the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements System)


 Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561)


 Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570 or N-578)


 Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (I-551) or other evidence of permanent residency (I-551 visa/stamp in passport or on I-94)


 Valid Employment Authorization Document (I-766)


 Valid, unexpired foreign passport with U.S. visa, along with evidence of entry (I-94 stamp or printout):

  • F-visa holders must present Form I-20
  • J-visa holders must present form DS-2019
  • B1 and B2 visas aren't acceptable
  • WB and WT visa stamps aren't acceptable


 Other immigration documents that show legal presence and/or ability to work in the U.S., including Form I-94, State Department bio-data form, and supervision documents (other documents may be accepted)


 Expired immigration documents along with Form I-797 (Notice of Action) showing that new documents have been applied for

3. Proof of identity
     Present at least one document

 Valid unexpired U.S. passport or passport card


 Out-of-state, U.S. territories, or Canadian driver's license or ID card. (Cards expired less than four years are accepted)


 Marriage license issued in the U.S


 Divorce decree issued in the U.S


 U.S. court order for a name change


 Employee photo ID issued by a federal or Michigan government agency


 U.S. Customs and Border Protection Trusted Traveler Card (Global Entry, SENTRI or NEXUS)


 U.S. military ID card with photo (DD-2, DD-1173 or CAC card)


 U.S. military discharge or separation document, such as a DD-214


 Photo ID from a federally recognized Native American tribe


 Two of the following are also accepted: Foreign passport, I-94, Employment Authorization Card, Refugee Travel Document I-571 or immigrant visa

 Documents, including immigration documents with or without an entry stamp, (such as I-94 Arrival/Departure form, U.S. State Department bio-data form and court-ordered supervision documents)

 Under 18 years of age:

  • Michigan driver education certificate
  • Government issued adoption record
  • U.S. school records (photo ID, transcripts, diplomas, yearbooks or attendance records)
  • Parents or guardian may present their driver's license or ID and sign for their child

4. Proof of Michigan residency
    Present at least two documents


 Utility bill or credit card bill issued within the last 90 days (Electronic copies are accepted)


 Account statement from a bank or other financial institution issued within the last 90 days (Electronic copies are accepted)


 Michigan high school, college or university report cards or transcripts


 Mortgage, lease or rental agreement (Lease and rental agreements must include the landlord's telephone number)


 Pay stub or earnings statement issued with the name and address of the employee


 Life, health, auto or home insurance policy


 Federal, state or local government documents, such as receipts, licenses or assessments


 Michigan title and registration (Registration must show current residential address)


 Other documents containing your name and address may be accepted with manager approval.


Note: Documents used to show Michigan residency must include your name and home address.

Michigan P.O. boxes aren't accepted as a "residence address"

* A Certificate of Birth Registration or similar document can be accepted if it has the following information listed on it:
1. U.S. government unit (city, county, state) that issued the record
2. applicant's full name, date of birth, and place of birth
3. parents' names (at least one parent must be listed)
4. date the record was filed with the registrar's office
5. certification statement and signature from the registrar indicating the original record is on file with the registrar's office
6. seal or stamp indicating the document is a certified copy (not a photocopy)
Notification of Birth Registration documents will not be accepted as these documents are not issued by a Vital Records agency or local government unit, but rather by the U.S. Department of the Census. Likewise, hospital birth certificates or delayed foreign birth certificates as will not be accepted as proof of U.S. citizenship.

> PDF Version of this page (SOS-428)


Updated Feb. 11, 2021