Renewing Your Mechanic License
You have two options for renewing your mechanic certificate:
- Renew your mechanic certificate online
- Renew your mechanic certificate by mail
Renewing your mechanic certificate online:
Your certificate can be renewed 60 days prior to expiration. The certificate’s expiration date is found in Box 4 of your mechanic certificate renewal.
- Log into your account by going to Mechanic Services and then Mechanic Login.
- Pay with Discover, MasterCard, Visa or electronic check. A processing fee will be charged for payment by credit or debit card.
Renewing your mechanic certificate by mail:
Fill out the enclosed, preprinted renewal application you received in the mail. Update any information as necessary. Some updates may require that you include additional documentation with your application.
- Pay with a check or money order made out to the “State of Michigan.”
- Mail your completed application (including any attachments) and payment to: Department of State, Business Licensing Section, Lansing, MI, 48918
- Failure to fill out the form correctly or completely may delay or prevent your certificate renewal.
- Your new certificate should arrive in the mail within three weeks after your application has been processed.
- Renewal applications are mailed about 60 days before your certificate expires. If you haven’t received your renewal materials within 30 days of your certificate expiration date, please contact the Business Licensing Section at or 888-SOS-MICH (888-767-6424) for help.
- When you receive your new mechanic certificate, post it prominently where customers can see it.