Welcome to Michigan IRP Online
WHAT IS MICHIGAN IRP ONLINE?
The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a program for licensing commercial vehicles in interstate operations among member jurisdictions. All of North America is included in the IRP, except for Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico and the Canadian provinces of Northwest Territories and Yukon.
Michigan IRP customers can access their IRP account online through Online Services to process original IRP account applications, renewals, add vehicles, increase weights, transfer plates, and request credential replacements.
Online Services allows IRP customers to print temporary authority (TA) permits for applications processed online once payment has been received. The temporary authority permits are valid for 30 days.
Online Services accepts payments via electronic check (e-check) and by Discover, Master Card and Visa debit or credit card. Payments can also be made by mail. After payment and required documents are received, the IRP office will mail your credentials (cab cards and plates, if needed) to your Michigan physical address.
- Online Services allows you to process applications at your convenience. However, ALL DOCUMENTS must be in your possession prior to processing online. Example: DO NOT add a vehicle just purchased into your account until ownership has been transferred and you have a title or validated title receipt. Processing an application without proper documentation will result in online access being restricted.
HOW DO I USE Online Services?
To start using Online Services, you must first create a third party MiLogin account and have an established Michigan IRP account. If you do not have an established Michigan IRP account, you may submit an original application through Online Services by selecting "IRP Services: under the IRP Section and then selecting "Apply".
Follow this link and select "IRP Services" under the IRP Section and then selecting "Apply".
Once your MiLogin user account is created, you will receive an email or text message, depending on the option you selected when creating your user account, with a security token that you must enter in Online Services in order to link your MiLogin user account to your IRP account.
Log-in information should not be shared. Each person who processes transactions for an IRP account must have their own MiLogin account.
How to Establish an IRP Account
IRP accounts can be established online through Online Services.
To establish an IRP account:
- A valid Michigan driver's license or identification card. If the account is being opened through Online Services a copy must be submitted with the other documents on this list.
- Proof of Residency - Present three (3) documents establishing Michigan residency (examples include but are not limited to rental agreement, utility bills, property taxes, income tax, bank statement, checks). Accounts being opened in a business name must provide documents in the business name with the business address.
- Articles of Incorporation or Organization, or DBA papers if the account is being opened in a business name.
- Record Keeping Agreement (completed with the Online Services IRP account application)
- Proof of Michigan no-fault insurance.
- Proof that Heavy Vehicle Use Tax has been paid on all vehicles owned more than 60 days and operating at over 55,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight. Contact the IRP Office for information regarding what documents are accepted for proof of payment.
- Proof of ownership:
- the Michigan vehicle title, or
- a copy of the Michigan title showing the IRP applicant as the owner on the front of the title, or
- a title application processed by a Michigan Secretary of State Branch office or other out of state equivalent. If the title has been assigned to you by the owner shown on the face of the title, you must first apply for a title in your name.
- The out-of-state title. A copy of both the front and back of the title must be provided.
- An electronic lien and title record issued by a jurisdiction's electronic lien and title vendor.
- A certified registration record including title information if the vehicle has been issued a Michigan electronic title.
- A copy of the Michigan registration if the vehicle was previously registered with a Michigan-only GVW plate.
- Note: If the vehicle is titled in Canada, you must provide both the NHTSA HS-7 Declaration form and the CBP 7501 form.
- Lease Agreement - If the applicant and the titled vehicle owner are not one in the same, or if the insurance is in a name other than that of the titled vehicle owner.
- Social Security Number (SSN) or Federal Employment Identification Number (FEIN) of the registrant.
- USDOT number of the registrant.
- USDOT and SSN/FEIN of the Motor Carrier Responsible for the safety (these may be the same as the USDOT and SSN/FEIN of the registrant).
- Motor Carrier Responsible for Safety (MCRS) lease - if the IRP applicant leases their vehicle to an interstate motor carrier who is responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle.
Michigan IRP reserves the right to ask for additional documentation.
If you have any questions about creating a MiLogin user account or applying for an IRP account, please contact the IRP Office via telephone at 517-335-6119 or email at email@example.com during the following office hours (except on state holidays):
Monday 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Tuesday 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Wednesday 9:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
During inclement weather, please check Michigan.gov or call the IRP Office for updates regarding office closures.
Related Documents & Topics