Organ Donation Statistics
These numbers represent people - family, friends and neighbors. It is the goal of the Department of State along with its organ donation partners to decrease the number of people waiting for a transplant. You can help by adding your name to the Michigan Organ Donor Registry.
Number of Michigan residents waiting for:
|Organ/Organs||Number of Residents|
|Other organ combinations||11|
Source: Gift of Life Michigan, July 1, 2019
- 2018 number of organs transplanted from Michigan donors: 1,085
- About 5.2 million people are on the Michigan Organ Donor Registry.
- 66% of Michigan adults are registered donors, almost three times the percentage of 10 years earlier.
- Over 90% of donor registrations come through SOS branch offices, with the rest coming from the web and other sources.
- More than 3,000 people in Michigan are waiting for a life-saving organ transplant.
Source: Gift of Life Michigan and the Michigan Department of State, January 2019
In the United States . . .
- Every 10 minutes, someone is added to the national transplant waitlist. In all, more than 114,000 people need a life-saving organ transplant.
- Each day, an average of 95 people receive an organ transplant.
- Unfortunately, 22 people die each day, on average, because a donor did not become available.
- More than 145 million people in the United States are signed up to be an organ, tissue and eye donor—sign up and join them.
Source: United Network for Organ Sharing and Donate Life America, January 2019