Age 18 and Over

New Michigan residents who are age 18 or older and wish to drive must obtain a Michigan driver's license upon moving to the state or obtaining employment with the intent of remaining in the state. To apply for a Michigan driver's license you must:

If you have a valid license from another state, the written and driving skills tests may be waived. The Secretary of State will contact your previous home state to obtain your driving record, which then becomes part of your Michigan driving record.

If you are in the U.S. and have temporary legal presence, you will be issued a limited-term driver's license. A limited-term license is valid for only as long as you are authorized to be in the country. If your stay is longer than four years, you may be eligible to renew your license but its expiration date will not extend beyond the end date of your temporary legal presence. Limited-term licenses are not available in the enhanced version.

A driver's license may be obtained at any Secretary of State office. An original operator's license costs $25 and a chauffeur's license is $35. Additional fees and testing may be required for special licenses, group designations and endorsements, such as a Commercial Driver License or motorcycle endorsement.

Note: Your situation may differ. Please check with the Department of State Information Center toll free at (888) SOS-MICH (767-6424) to make sure you have all the correct paperwork before going to a Secretary of State office.

All documentation is subject to Department of State approval. In some cases, document approval may not occur in the same day and may require an additional visit.

> More Driving FAQs
> Additional Driver's License and State ID Related Information

If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner or send us an e-mail and we will help you get the information you need.