New Michigan Residents

Registration Requirements

New Michigan residents must immediately title and register their vehicles at a Secretary of State office and turn in the title from their previous home state. Titles are required for all motor vehicles and for all trailers 2,500 pounds and over. "Resident" means every person who resides in this state and establishes that he or she is legally present in the United States.   

If your out-of-state title is being held by a lien holder or leasing company, you may take your previous state registration (it can be recently expired) or proof of your out-of-state title to any Secretary of State office. Proof of Michigan no-fault insurance is required to register a vehicle. The Secretary of State will issue a Michigan registration and plate to a vehicle with an out-of-state title.  

If there is more than one owner showing on your out-of-state title, all owners must be present. If an owner cannot appear, he or she may complete and sign an Appointment of Agent form designating another individual to sign on his or her behalf.  

NOTE: An owner completing an Appointment of Agent form must provide a photocopy of their valid driver license or state ID card to the person they appoint as their agent. This photocopy will be required at the Secretary of State office.

Michigan passenger plate fees are based on the vehicle manufacturer's suggested retail price. All Secretary of State offices accept cash, checks, money orders, Discover and MasterCard or Visa debit and credit cards at the counter. A processing fee will be charged for credit or debit card use.

When the time comes to renew your license plates, there are several convenient methods: online, mail, Self-Service Stations and at Secretary of State offices.


Related Documents and Topics