Elections & Voting

How do I get an absent voter ballot?

Your request for an absent voter ballot must be in writing and can be submitted to your city or township clerk (for assistance in obtaining the address of your city or township clerk, see the Michigan Voter Information Center)

Your request must include one of the six statutory reasons and your signature. You must request an absent voter ballot by sending the application, application (large print version) a letter, a postcard, or a pre-printed application form obtained from your local clerk's office to your local clerk. Requests to have an absent voter ballot mailed to you must be received by your clerk no later than 2 p.m. the Saturday before the election.

Once your request is received by the local clerk, your signature on the request will be checked against your voter registration record before a ballot is issued. You must be a registered voter to receive an absent voter ballot. Requests for absent voter ballots are processed immediately. Absent voter ballots may be issued to you at your home address or any address outside of your city or township of residence.



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.