Organ Donation Statistics
These numbers represent people - family, friends and neighbors. It is the goal of the Department of State along with its organ donation partners to decrease the number of people waiting for a transplant. You can help by adding your name to the Michigan Organ Donor Registry.
Number of Michigan residents waiting for:
|Organ/Organs||Number of Residents|
|Other organ combinations||8|
Source: Gift of Life Michigan, Dec., 2017
- 2016 Number of Organ Transplants: 876
- More than 2.7 million names added to registry since 2011.
- 62% of Michigan adults are on the registry up from 27% in 2010.
- 89% of donor registrations in 2017 came through SOS branch offices and 11% came via web and other sources.
- More than 4.7 million names are currently on the donor registry.
- More than 3,300 people are waiting for a transplant.
Source: Gift of Life Michigan and Michigan Department of State, Dec., 2017
In the United States . . .
- During your visit to michigan.gov/sos someone may have been added to the waiting list. It happens every 10 minutes.
- Each day, an average of 80 people receive organ transplants
- However, an average of 20 people die each day waiting for transplants that can't take place because of the shortage of donated organs.
- Currently, more than 130 million people in the U.S. are signed up to be a donor—sign up and join them.
Source: organdonor.gov, Dec., 2017