To qualify for a driver education instructor certificate from the Secretary of State an applicant must:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Possess a valid driver license that has been in continuous effect for not less than 5 years immediately preceding the application.
- Provide the applicant's driver license number
- Provide a statement indicating whether the applicant has applied for a driver education instructor certificate in this or any other state, and the result of that application.
- Provide a statement indicating whether the applicant has previously had a driver education instructor certificate revoked or suspended in this state or any other state.
- Complete a criminal history check.
- Certify there is no pending criminal matter or outstanding arrest, warrant, or conviction since submitting a request for a criminal history check.
- Submit a $45.00 nonrefundable application-processing fee.
- Submit a certified medical examination report that is not older than 90 days that is prepared by a physician, physician's assistant, or certified nurse practitioner.
- Until December 31, 2007, a driver education instructor applicant for teen driver training must submit an official transcript from an approved college or university that currently offers driver education instructor programs. The transcript must provide evidence of the equivalence of at least 8 semester hours of driver education instructor preparation courses. The universities that currently offer the approved instructor preparation courses are listed at the end of this document.
- Beginning January 1, 2008, a driver education instructor application for teen or adult driver training must submit an official transcript from an approved college, university, or person to verify the completion of a driver education instructor preparation program as described in section 23 of PA 384 of 2006.
- Other information and documents as requested by the Secretary of State to determine an applicant's qualifications for certification.
If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.