Michigan law requires all dealers to renew their licenses by Dec. 31. Secretary of State offices cannot accept transactions from dealers with expired licenses. If you don't renew by Dec. 31, you must apply for an original dealer license.
If your renewal form has not arrived by mid-October, contact the Department's Business Licensing Section at firstname.lastname@example.org or (888) SOS-MICH (767-6424).
Dealers have two convenient options for renewing: If you choose to renew your dealer license online, you now have the option to renew for multiple years. You will be prompted to select 1, 2, 3 or 4 years. Note: license renewal and plate fees are not refundable.
- Online Renewal
- Note: Online renewals are acccepted up to 30 days past the vehicle dealer license expiration date. If you renew after your license has expired your renewal is subject to a late fee.
- You cannot renew online if:
- your business ownership type has changed
you do not intend to renew all active licenses
your dealer license has expired
Have your dealer license renewal form and a valid Discover, MasterCard, Visa or electronic check information in hand.
Follow the screen prompts to complete your application.
Pay with Discover, MasterCard, Visa or electronic check.
A confirmation e-mail will be sent after you submit your application.
If there are any problems with your application, the Licensing Unit will contact you by mail.
- Renewal by Mail
- Note: Renew by Nov. 1 to ensure adequate processing time.
- Fill out the enclosed license renewal form as instructed. Make any updates necessary. Some updates may
- Salvage vehicle agent license renewals are completed using the back of the form.
- Pay with check or money order made out to "State of Michigan".
- Return your completed application and payment to: Department of State Business Licensing Section, Lansing, MI 48918
- Failure to fill out the form correctly or completely may delay or prevent your license renewal.
Your license should arrive in the mail within two or three weeks after your application has been processed.
Check the status of your license application online using the "Verify a vehicle dealer or repair facility license" listing.
When you receive your new dealer license, post it prominently where customers can see it.
Dealer plates are mailed mid-February.