Repair Facility Registration and Application

Agency: State

Who Must Register 

Section 6 of the Motor Vehicle Service and Repair Act (MCL 257.1306) requires businesses performing motor vehicle maintenance, diagnosis, vehicle body work or repair service on a motor vehicle for compensation to be registered with the Michigan Department of State. 

  • The Bureau of Driver and Vehicle Programs (BDVP) oversees this activity for the Department of State. Other auto-related businesses, such as vehicle dealerships, are also licensed and regulated by the Bureau. 
  • Applications for a repair facility registration (Form AR-0012, Motor Vehicle Repair Facility Registration) may also be obtained from the Bureau of Driver and Vehicle Programs, Business Licensing Section at 1-888-SOS-MICH (1-888-767-6424) or on this website at Publications and Forms

Other Licensing Requirements 

A business which sells used or rebuilt late model major component parts (see Chapter 2 of the Repair Facility Manual) over the counter must obtain a Class C (Used Vehicle Parts Dealer) license. For more information or to obtain a dealer license application packet, contact: the Business Licensing Section, 1-888-SOS-MICH (1-888-767-6424) or on this web site at Publications and Forms.

Who Does Not Have to Register 

A business need not register as a motor vehicle service and repair facility if any of the following apply:

  • The business does not involve motor vehicle service or repair;
  • The business does not perform motor vehicle service or repair for compensation;
  • The business only services or repairs its own vehicles;
  • The business performs motor vehicle service or repair only for a single government agency or a single commercial or industrial establishment;
  • The business engages only in the sale of motor fuel and lubricants;
  • The business, such as a machine shop, does not diagnose the operating condition of, remove parts from, or install parts on a motor vehicle;
  • The business exclusively performs services or repairs on motor vehicles not required to be registered and titled (bulldozers, cranes, road rollers, etc.).

Reporting Unlicensed Repair Facilities or Mechanics 

A repair facility or mechanic who performs a motor vehicle repair without a registration issued by the Michigan Department of State is in violation of the Motor Vehicle Service and Repair Act. 

Information regarding an unlicensed repair facility or uncertified mechanic can be provided to the Regulatory Monitoring Division by telephone, e-mail, fax or in writing:

Michigan Department of State
Regulatory Monitoring Division
PO Box 30046
Lansing, Michigan 48918
Telephone: 1-888-SOS-MICH (1-888-767-6424)
Fax: 517-373-8791

Related Documents
Motor Vehicle Repair Facility Registration Application (AR-0012) PDF icon