Replacement of Certificate

Agency: State

If a certificate is lost or destroyed, the mechanic must immediately apply to the Michigan Department of State for a replacement. The following information must be mailed to the Bureau of Driver and Vehicle Programs, Business Licensing Section:

  • The name and address of the mechanic;
  • The mechanic certificate number;
  • An explanation of the loss or destruction of the certificate;
  • A $5 replacement fee.

Information on certification requirements, application fees, mechanic testing locations and special need test scheduling can also be obtained from the Bureau of Driver and Vehicle Programs, Business Licensing Section:

Michigan Department of State
Bureau of Driver and Vehicle Programs
Business Licensing Section
Lansing, MI 48918
Telephone: 1-888-SOS-MICH (1-888-767-6424)
Fax: 517-335-2810