Mechanic Certification RequirementAgency: State
Mechanic Certification Requirement
Section 4 of the Motor Vehicle Service and Repair Act (MCL 257.1304) requires repair facilities to employ persons properly certified for the type of repairs performed by the facility. Holders of valid mechanic trainee permits must work under the supervision of a properly certified mechanic.
Persons who must be certified include:
- Those who diagnose or repair the operating condition of a motor vehicle;
- Those who perform bench repairs on motor vehicle component parts within a business required to be registered;
- Those who estimate or repair unitized body structural component damage; or
- Those who hold voluntary certifications issued by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence ( ASE ), and are not licensed by the State of Michigan.
- Individuals who hold certification(s) issued by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence ( ASE ) should be aware that ASE certification alone does not qualify you as a State certified mechanic in Michigan. However, you may be eligible to apply for State certification and transfer certain ASE categories to the mechanic application in lieu of taking state certification exams. Refer to the the ASE Information webpge or call the Business Licensing Section at 1-888 SOS MICH (1-888-767-6424) for further information.
- Service writers are not required to be certified if they greet customers, initiate paperwork and do not perform diagnosis or repair. Diagnosis and repairs must be performed by properly certified mechanics.