What if I just moved to Michigan and do not have a residency document?

Under Michigan law, the Secretary of State is prohibited from issuing an original driver's license or state identification card to anyone who is not a legal resident of the state. If you have recently moved to Michigan and have a valid driver's license or state identification card from another state, these can be used in the interim until sufficient residency documents are established. Once residency is established, please visit a Secretary of State office immediately to apply for a Michigan driver's license or state ID.

Related Documents & Topics




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.