Is it ever necessary to complete and mail a TR-52L to a vehicle or vessel owner?

Please note: Vehicle includes motor vehicles, ORVs, and snowmobiles. Vessel includes watercraft.

No. You do not have to complete or mail an Abandoned Vehicle/Vessel - Bill of Sale form (TR-52L) to the vehicle or vessel owner. Since the law requires that unregistered, abandoned and/or scrap vehicles or vessels be disposed of within 24 hours after taking the vehicle or vessel into custody, you must complete the Certificate of Scrapping form (TR-208). However, notice is not sent to an owner.

Within seven days after you enter the vehicle or vessel into LEIN, the Secretary of State will send the completed TR-52E Notice of Abandonment to the vehicle or vessel owner and any secured parties. The TR-52P Petition for Hearing on Abandoned Vehicle/Vessel will be sent to the vehicle or vessel owner. And a TR-52L Bill of Sale is sent to you.

Related Documents & Topics




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.