Should I discard old TR-52 Notices of Abandonment?

Please note: Vehicle includes motor vehicles, ORVs, and snowmobiles. Vessel includes watercraft.

Yes. Law enforcement agencies are instructed to discontinue mailing Abandoned Vehicle/Vessel Notices (TR-52) to vehicle or vessel owners and secured parties. Under the abandoned vehicle or vessel laws, the Secretary of State sends the notices within seven days from the LEIN entry.

At the same time, the department will send a Bill of Sale (TR-52L) to the law enforcement agency that entered the abandoned vehicle or vessel in LEIN. If you need to dispose of the vehicle or vessel immediately (e.g. scrapped), you may complete the Certificate of Scrapping (TR-208).

Related Documents & Topics 


If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.