What do I have to do if I get a call from a private property owner to remove a vehicle or vessel from private real property?

Please note: Vehicle includes motor vehicles, ORVs, and snowmobiles. Vessel includes watercraft.

If the abandoned vehicle or vessel is on private property, the towing agency must provide reasonable notice by telephone, or otherwise to the law enforcement agency with jurisdiction over the abandoned vehicle or vessel.

If the vehicle or vessel is on other private real property, such as an apartment complex or private lot, you may also wish to check that the required signage has been posted before contacting law enforcement or removing the vehicle or vessel.

There are specific signage requirements under section 257.252k and 80130o 2014 PA 549, each apartment complex or private real property owner that has a vehicle or vessel removed must have a warning sign posted stating that unauthorized vehicles or vessels will be removed at the owner's expense. The notice must include the name and telephone number of the towing agency that will remove vehicles or vessels from that property and be in letters at least two inches high on a contrasting background. Notices must be permanently installed with the bottom of the notice at least four feet from the ground and prominently displayed at each point of entry for vehicles or vessels. If the property does not have curbs or access barriers, there must be at least one notice for every 100 feet of road frontage. The notice must be in place at least 24 hours before vehicles or vessels can be removed from the property.

Private real properties that are single- or dual-family residences are exempt from the notice requirements, as well as vehicles impounded or removed under MCL 257.252d or vessels impounded or removed under 80130h.

For the purposes of this section, the sign required may use the term vehicle as opposed to vessel 80130o(2), 81151, and 82161 2014 PA 549.


Related Documents & Topics


If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.