If my vehicle or vessel is titled or registered in another state or country and abandoned in Michigan, will I receive a notice of abandonment from the Secretary of State?

Please note: Vehicle includes motor vehicles, ORVs, and snowmobiles. Vessel includes watercraft.

No. Abandoned vehicle or vessel notices are only sent for vehicle or vessel owners of record as kept by the Secretary of State of Michigan. You may be able to locate your towed vehicle by checking the Michigan Auto Lost and Found Website and entering your VIN or plate number. Please contact the Abandoned Vehicle Help Desk at 517-636-5234 concerning an abandoned vessel or snowmobile. You will need the HIN or serial number. Note that if you do not redeem your vehicle or vessel, you may still lose your rights to the vehicle or vessel and be subject to fines and penalties.

Related Documents & Topics



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.