What can I do if I believe that my vehicle or vessel was wrongfully declared abandoned or that I am being overcharged for the towing and storage fees?

Please note: Vehicle includes motor vehicles, ORVs, and snowmobiles. Vessel includes watercraft.

You may file a petition with the court having jurisdiction over the location from which the vehicle or vessel was removed. You must do this by mail or in person at that court within 20 days from the date of the notice sent by the Secretary of State. That notice includes a petition requesting a hearing with the court. Note that courts charge a filing fee equal to $40 plus the accrued towing and storage fees, which must be paid when filing the petition.

Before the hearing, you may obtain release of your vehicle or vessel by posting a bond with the court equal to $40 plus the accrued towing and storage fees. If you do not obtain release of the vehicle or vessel, storage charges may continue to accrue.

If you do not request a hearing, you may redeem your vehicle or vessel by paying the towing, storage and abandoned fees to the vehicle or vessel's custodian.

Related Documents & Topics



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.