How do I obtain a duplicate birth certificate, marriage license or divorce decree?

Event occurred in Michigan:
You can order a record online using a debit or credit card, print an application to order by mail or to change a record, or get information about available services. The State of Michigan Vital Records Office has records of births, deaths, and marriages that occurred in Michigan that were filed with the state as early as 1867.

Event occurred outside of Michigan:
To find out how to obtain vital records you can visit the CDC Website - Where to write for vital records. You must first determine the State or area where the birth, death, marriage, or divorce occurred, then click on that State or area. Please follow the provided guidelines to ensure an accurate response to your request.

Related Document & Topics



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.