How do I change my name on my driver's license or state identification card?

To change your name on your driver's license or state identification card, you must go to a Secretary of State office to process the correction.  Present your valid driver's license or state ID card and proof of the name change. Proof of your name change must be established, such as a certified marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document.

When you have your name changed on your license or state ID card, make sure to notify the Social Security Administration. To process a name change with the Social Security Administration, you must provide proof of identity, legal presence and name change. Additional proof may be requested.

Failing to inform the Social Security Administration of your name change will delay the processing of your license or state ID card application when renewing. The department verifies all names and Social Security numbers before issuing a license or ID card. If your name does not match with what is on file at the Social Security Administration, your renewal application will be denied.

Related Documents & Topics



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.