Can I present a foreign identity document as proof of my identity?

The foreign documents that are accepted as proof of identity when applying for an original driver's license or state identification card are a Canadian driver's license or a valid foreign passport in your name with English subtitles or translation. A foreign marriage license with English subtitles or translation may be presented to support a legal name change on legal presence or identity documents.

All documentation is subject to Department of State approval. In some cases, document approval may not occur in the same day and may require an additional visit. 

Related Documents & Topics




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.