How long do I have before I must change my out-of-state driver's license, vehicle title and registration?

New Michigan residents must title and register their vehicles immediately.  There is no grace period provided in Michigan law. The Michigan Vehicle Code defines "resident" as "every person who resides in this state and establishes that he or she is legally present in the United States."

New residents need to visit a Secretary of State branch office to apply for a Michigan driver's license (or state ID card), vehicle title, and registration as soon as they establish residency in this state.





If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.