How do I apply for an enhanced license or state ID card?

To obtain an enhanced license or ID, you must be a U.S. citizen. If you are applying for an enhanced license, you must also have no violations, suspensions, revocations or denials on your driving record that would prevent you from legally operating a motor vehicle. To apply:

a. Visit any Secretary of State office. Make sure you bring documentation of:

1) A valid Social Security number (for example, a Social Security card)

2) U.S. citizenship (for example, a certified copy of your birth certificate with a raised seal, must be issued by a governmental unit in the U.S. or U.S. territory)

3) Identity (for example, a current Michigan photo license or ID card)

4) Residency (for example, a current Michigan photo license or ID card)

* Please refer to the SOS-428 (ENH) form for a complete list of acceptable documentation.

b. Have a new photograph taken.

c. Pay the enhanced license or state ID card fee.




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.