Do I need an enhanced driver's license or state ID card when traveling to U.S. territories?

U.S. territories are considered a part of the United States. U.S. citizens returning directly from a U.S. territory are not considered to have left the country and are only subject to the rules for domestic travel. You should review the TSA domestic travel requirements before traveling.

U.S. territories include: Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

For more information on federal travel requirements, visit or



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.