Do I need an enhanced driver's license or state ID card if I am traveling to and from Canada in my own boat or by ferry?

Yes. All land and sea travel between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean falls under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative requirements, regardless of the type of vessel. Depending on the details of your travel to and from Canada in your own boat or by ferry, you may be required to present an enhanced license or state ID card (or other form of acceptable proof of identity and citizenship) to U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials.

Visit the CBP at for more information on the WHTI travel requirements.

Related Documents & Topics



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.