How do I handle an abandoned vehicle or vessel titled or registered out-of-state?

Please note: Vehicle includes motor vehicles, ORVs, and snowmobiles. Vessel includes watercraft.

As a courtesy, law enforcement may elect to send a notice of abandonment to out-of-state owners or secured parties informing them that the vehicle or vessel has been abandoned in Michigan. The abandoned vehicle or vessel laws require the Secretary of State to send notice of abandonment to owners and secured parties of record as kept by the Secretary of State for vehicles or vessels in Michigan only. Out-of-state vehicles or vessels must still be entered into LEIN as an abandoned vehicle or vessel and disposed of through the abandoned vehicle or vessel process outlined in MCL 257.252a or 80130f, 81151, and 82161 2014 PA 549.


Related Documents & Topics



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.