How do I convert my out-of-state title to a Michigan title?

Submit your out-of-state title at a Secretary of State branch office. If more than one owner shows on the out-of- state title, all owners must be present, or the one present must have an Appointment of Agent form to sign for the other owner. Proof of valid Michigan no-fault insurance must be presented to purchase a Michigan license plate. 

If your out-of-state title is being held by a lien holder, you may take your out-of-state registration (it can be recently expired) or proof of the out-of-state title to any Secretary of State branch office along with proof of Michigan no-fault insurance for the vehicle. Michigan will issue a "FOREIGN OWNERSHIP-REGISTRATION ONLY" registration for the vehicle. A Michigan title is not issued. The out-of-state title remains the ownership document.

Related Documents & Topics




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.