How can I renew my registration while I am out of state?


Go to ExpressSOS and then to Vehicle Services. If you go to ‘More Online Vehicle Services’, you can renew your license plate and submit a one-time mailing address so that your new tab and registration can be mailed directly to you. Tabs and registrations renewed using the Quick Renewal option will be mailed to the vehicle’s residential address on record.

By mail

Send a photocopy of your current registration, proof of valid Michigan no-fault insurance, and a check or money order payable to the "State of Michigan" to:

Michigan Department of State
Renewal by Mail Unit
7064 Crowner Drive
Lansing, Michigan 48980

Information about your renewal fee can be obtained by calling 517-322-1271. Please provide an out-of-state address if you want your registration receipt and new license plate tab mailed to you while you are out-of-state.

Related Documents & Topics




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.