How do I transfer my license plate onto my new car?

You may transfer a license plate issued in your name at any Secretary of State branch office. You will need your current registration or license plate number, your title to the vehicle to which you want to transfer the license plate (your copy of the title application will be sufficient if you recently applied for your title), a $10 transfer fee and a $5 stand alone transaction fee will be due. Additional fees may be due if transferring a plate to a different type of vehicle (such as from a car to a motor home). Additional fees will be due if you apply for a new title at the same time. The owner of the registration must be one of the owners shown on the title. If you are purchasing a vehicle from a Michigan dealer, the dealer will handle the plate transfer for you.



Related Documents & Topics




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.