What documentation is required to obtain the veteran designation?

Veterans must provide acceptable documentation to receive the designation. Any submitted form must indicate the character of discharge. Acceptable forms include:

  • DD214 (or correction DD215), Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, any copy except Copy 1
  • Form NGB FM 22 or 23, Report of Separation and Record of Service, which must indicate honorable or general discharge
  • Forms WD AGO, such as WD AGO 53-55, Enlisted Record and Report of Separation Honorable Discharge
  • GSA 6954, Certificate of Military Service
  • NAVPERS 553, Extract of Notice of Separation from U.S. Naval Service
  • U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, Veterans Health Identification Card (VHIC)

Secretary of State offices will accept other documents issued prior to 1950 if they indicate an honorable or general discharge. Photocopies of official documents are acceptable. Veteran documentation will not be retained by the Secretary of State and will be destroyed if provided by mail.

Documentation needs to be presented only upon the initial request for a driver's license or ID card with the designation. Subsequent licenses and ID cards will have the designation unless you request that it be removed.




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.