In what jurisdiction/state should I file a UCC financing statement?

A filing is made based on the location of the debtor. Filings that name an individual as the debtor are made in the debtor’s state of residence. A filing listing an organization as the debtor will be filed in the state in which the organization is registered.

Filing in the wrong office is not a sufficient reason to reject a filing.

Mortgages, fixtures, minerals and timber are filed with the county Register of Deeds in the state of the debtor or organization. All other types of collateral, including transmitting utilities, should be filed with the UCC Office.




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.