When am I required to replace a license plate?

Plates that are rusted, damaged or illegible due to age or wear-and-tear should be replaced. A replacement plate can be obtained at any Secretary of State office or on ExpressSOS. Additionally, Michigan requires plates that are 10 years old or older to be replaced upon renewal.

Related Documents & Topics




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.